August 14, 2011
Most dermatologists agree that every solid anti-aging skincare regimen should contain certain key components. To get the most out of your skincare routine, make sure you are doing the following:
1. Cleanse each morning and evening! Keep makeup from clogging pores and congesting skin to get the best results from your treatments and moisturizers. Choose a cleanser appropriate for your skin type.
2. Exfoliate regularly. Exfoliated skin is primed to receive and maximize the benefits of the anti-aging ingredients in your treatment products. Make sure you’re sloughing off those dead skin cells with a physical exfoliant (like a scrub) or a chemical exfoliant (like retinol or glycolic acid) a few times per week to make the most of your skincare! Natura Bisse’s C+C scrub and GlycoExtreme Peel will give you a great exfoliation up to twice per week!
3. Use a broad-range antioxidant. An antioxidant treatment not only neutralizes free radicals, but aids in healing past and preventing future damage from sun exposure. Skinceuticals CE Ferulic for dry skin, or Phloretin CF for combination/oily skin offers fabulous antioxidant protection.
4. Use an anti-aging moisturizer appropriate for your skin type–many now come in gel formulas for combination/oily skin types and heavier, more moisturizing formulas for drier skin types. Choose a moisturizer with ingredients like peptides to support your skin’s tone and elasticity. We love Natura Bisse’s Diamond Gel and Diamond Extreme creams for the ultimate in anti-aging moisture!
5. Use a sunscreen. Daily application of a sunscreen will save your skin from future photodamage, preventing age and sun spots, and stave off some of those fine lines and wrinkles. We recommend Skinceuticals Sheer Physical UV Defense SPF 50, because it not only protects, but is odorless and leaves no sticky residue!
6. Drink plenty of water. Great skin starts from the inside out, and staying hydrated is key. Hydrated skin heals faster, looks younger and maintains its elasticity better than dehydrated skin.
7. Sweat equity! Exercise purges the skin of toxins and increases oxygen flow to cells, helping skin to appear brighter and healthier. Get at least 30 minutes of activity daily!
8. Use a luminescent foundation. A sheer foundation containing a slight shimmer helps reflect light away from fine lines and wrinkles, helping skin appear younger. We love Laura Mercier’s Luminescent Tinted Moisturizers with SPF 20!